Sunday, June 3, 2012

Louis, Taking the Good

Last night I lay with my grandson in my bed and memories begin to flood in.  Two days ago my grandson had a seizure and I was reminded of how fragile each day on earth is for us.  My daughter was traumatized and all of us are watching and waiting for something more to happen.  I realized that we can't live each day with the remembrance of something negative.  For his sake and ours we need to push through those feelings of waiting for the other shoe to drop.  He was so sweet as he lay beside me, holding my hand and watching his favorite Mickey Mouse Club. 

As I held him close to me, not too close, cause he's an independent guy, I realized that he doesn't know why we're concerned.  Mickey Mouse played on and on and the little lessons that are taught in the show seemed so interesting to him.  Counting by fives, and getting the tools from "Oh Toodles" seemed to be in his concentration.  His favorite part is the end when they sing the "Hot Dog Song."  He loves to look at his Grandma and show me that he can sing, "Hot Dog."  Last night he took that one step further and began to harmonize long after the song was finished.  I wondered what he was thinking because he really doesn't talk yet.  He's only twenty months.

I was reminded how Louis my own son would take these kind of moments and make something good out of them.  He would put aside sickness, pain and suffering and hold on to the Hot Dog Moments, the way Hayden did last night.  Even in times of being bed ridden he would make a game out of everything.  Sometimes in the hospital he would grab whatever might be at his bedside, an emesis basin for a boat or a water pitcher pouring the water into his boat and making even a pencil floating in his homemade toy special. 

A child is resiliant.  They make the best of their situation because that's their natural instinct.  We as adults whine and complain about our situations and don't always make the best of what we have today.  We don't always show our gratitude for the moments we have and don't provide examples for the children around us.  Watching Hayden reminded me of how little children are comfortable with their surroundings and make the best of every minute.  His actions reminded me of Louis and the times that he would push aside all of the bad and let only the good into his heart.

A mother can store the memories of the good.  A mother needs to erase the bad, push aside the darkness and learn to walk alongside their children into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment