Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Remembering the Shows

What is there about watching a popular television show that makes me think of him and the past?  Maybe the reasons I think about him when I'm watching a show is because I remember some of the shows he liked.  My daughter Celena and I can remember the movies we would have to endure because after all he had to have his way sometimes.  Movies that involved dragons, or super heroes were among the favorites.  One of my favorite shows is American Idol, just regular people with spectacular gifts looking for a shot at a fantastic future. 

Louis was no stranger to dreaming.  I remember his Michael Jackson phase.  Or was it just the glove he was loving to mimic?  He would put an ordinary garden glove on, just one you know, and tie some piece of rag around his head.  One day we were at my mom's and he had his garb on and he wanted to go to the grocery store with his Grandma.  Well she took one look at the outfit and she said, "I'm sorry but you can't go with me with that glove and head piece on."  He looked at her with his long eyelashes and said, "Why Grandma, I want to be like Michael Jackson.  I can be famous too."  She laughed but she still wouldn't let him wear the famous gear, she merely answered, "you don't need that."  He hung his head but he wanted to go to the store more than having the gear, so off they went without Michael. 

Today we continue to have our favorite shows, our favorite stars and our favorite dreams about being famous.  There's a little of that in everyone, young or old.  People watch shows like American Idol because they want to be entertained, they want to dream a little about something that most likely won't happen for them.  There's so many shows springing up like this show because there's a disease of dreaming for something more special than the humdrum world we live on a daily basis. 

Life is not as humdrum as we think.  We don't look around us like a little child does and capture some of the days little miracles.  How about that smile you received from a complete stranger while waiting in the grocery store line?  How about the gal in the coffee shop who decided to share with you where she bought her outfit?  Don't we all miss all the opportunities that come our way to make us feel like we're a little more than insignificant. 

Our children are no strangers to dreaming, no strangers to looking for the good in ever situation.  Pretending like they are slaying dragons or sitting down to a tea party with there sister and making the best of the situation.  For goodness sake a brother that will play wedding with  you and marry the girl down the street because he's being a good sport especially when he's dressed up as the bride because his eyelashes are better than yours is worth his weight in goal, famous for a day, all over the neighborhood. 

So today when I look back at how famous was he, I know the answer, infamous to me, infamous to me.  I capture the meaning of dreaming, because dreaming about him is all I have today, dreaming and movies in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment